Your 2023 victory was null and void ab initio, Akpabio lambast Ishaku Abbo.
Senate President Godswill Akpabio has attacked former Senator Elisha Abbo, alleging that he (Akpabio) played a role in his ouster from the National Assembly.
In a statement released on Thursday by his media aide, Eseme Eyiboh, Akpabio called Abbo’s assertions false and deceptive.
The retort came after Abbo accused Akpabio of operating the Senate as a “personal empire” and orchestrating the dismissal of five senators, including himself, in an interview with Arise News TV.
Abbo accused Senate President Godswill Akpabio of operating the Nigerian Senate as a personal empire and targeting senators who disagree with him.
Speaking on Arise News TV on Wednesday, Abbo said that Akpabio organised the dismissal of five senators, including himself.
The former Adamawa North senator stated that Akpabio had personally told him of the planned ouster.
Abbo, who supported Senator Abdulaziz Yari for Senate President, claimed Akpabio tried to win him over with personal appeals and cash incentives.
He further accused Akpabio of denying him travel reimbursements, impeding his participation in a foreign legislative mission, and withholding his official vehicle after he was ousted from office.
However, in the statement, Akpabio stated that he was surprised to hear Abbo accuse him again for his departure from the Senate, just two years after apologising to him.
The Senate President has been in the spotlight for a number of unpleasant activities, including the present scandal involving alleged sexual harassment of Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan of Kogi Central Senatorial District.
However, Akpabio continued, “It is sad and regrettable that, despite publicly retracting a similar allegation in 2023—after admitting that his earlier accusation was premature and based on the available information at our disposal—Mr Abbo has once again embarked on a campaign of misinformation and blame transfer.
“Following a discussion with the Senate President last year, Mr. Abbo admitted that Senator Akpabio had ‘no role’ in the legal procedure that led to his dismissal. It is perplexing that he would suddenly return to the same bogus claims he previously denied.”
Akpabio stated that it was the court, not him, who determined Abbo’s fate before he was removed, and that he thought it absurd and irresponsible for Abbo to turn around and claim that he influenced the decision that he accepted at the time.
He answered, “It’s in the papers. Mr. Abbo has claimed that his departure resulted in unfair withholding of official benefits.Despite the court’s judgement that his term was null and void ab initio, he continues to claim entitlement to pay, benefits, and an official vehicle.
If Abbo’s payment claims did not reach the Senate President, it was due to legal criteria, not personal or political vendettas.It is sad that, rather than accepting responsibility for his legal and political failures, Abbo continues to engage in media theatrics and reckless finger-pointing.
“Akpabio remains focused on the noble task of nation-building, providing purposeful leadership in the Senate, and strengthening democratic institutions — especially the independence of the judiciary.
“”He will not be distracted by those who try to rewrite history to hide personal failures.”If Mr. Abbo wishes to return to public life, we advise him to ponder deeply, respect the rule of law, and focus on regaining his people’ confidence.
“Nigeria’s democracy can only thrive when its actors show maturity, responsibility, and an abiding respect for the truth.”